[ProgSoc] Life membership category

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Wed Apr 1 17:39:08 EST 2009

> Way forward:
>
> 1. Come up with constitutional amendment(s) that address the problem.
> 2. Get 7 interested financial members in support of these amendments, send
> written notification to the Secretary of intent to have an 3. SGM under
> S7.4
> of the constitution.
> 4. Hold the meeting and put your motion to a vote in the quorum.
> 5. See what happens.

or

1. Scrap the system.
2. Come up with a more appropriate 'honours system'.

> The current system is untenable >

There'd be no issue (nor all these posts) if that were the case.

> not cared about by those it affects >

That remains to be seen, although I tend to side with you on that one.
Does anyone on the 'life membership' list who hasn't paid membership in
years actually keep in contact with us any longer or use their account?
Would they even notice if we took away their 'entitlement', which they may
not have realised they even had in the first place?

> your prattling on about it won't change that what you are advocating is
> corrupt, not wanted and not in the spirit of ProgSoc or its Constitution.

Corrupt? I would like to think that whoever came up with the system all
those years ago only had the best of intentions.

Not wanted by whom? I think we have demonstrated, through the many posts
here and through the discussion at the AGM, that we are polarised on the
issue. If we were all for or against it, then there'd be a simple solution
we can all agree on. Personally, I will be happy with the majority's
decision, whatever that may be.

Not in the spirit of ProgSoc or its Constitution? I tend to agree. ProgSoc
is (or should be) an egalitarian society. We should honour those who have
come and gone, but we shouldn't be putting people up on pedestals or
treating them like sacred cows, which a system such as this one seems to
be doing.

> The time for talk is over.

Not by a long shot. Now we have to discuss the exact wording of the
proposed amendments, if amendments are needed or even desired, before they
can be formally submitted for consideration.

Politics and bureaucracy - gottaloveit.

> If you care so much, take action.

I think an SGM is the best course of action, amendment or no amendment. A
formal, clear-cut, absolute decision is needed.

Tom