[ProgSoc] Webmail browser client down

John Elliot jj5 at jj5.net
Mon Feb 9 10:02:26 EST 2009

Tomislav Bozic wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 12:16:16AM +1100, John Elliot wrote:
>> You haven't answered my question.
>
> Would it really matter what I answered?

No, not really. I'm just curious.

Perhaps you can answer a different question: how would you feel about
someone who already had root privs reading your email? Do you think they
would be entitled to do so? Do you think you could have a reasonable
expectation that they wouldn't?

> You wouldn't believe me anyhow.

Meh.

> For the record, no, I would not read the contents of your - or anyone
> else's - inbox, since I would have a more pressing issue to deal with,
> namely, the webmail client that won't log in.

Would it only be a lack of time that stopped you from reading others'
email if you had the technical capability..?

> Anyways, it's a moot issue, since I know that such privileges would not
> be granted to me at this early stage, therefore it'd be pointless for
> me to ask. At no point - expressed or *implied* - have I made such
> a request.

I don't think that makes it a moot issue at all. Notwithstanding that I
think we're more liberal with admin privs than you imagine.

>>> Does he not read this mailing list?
>> Again, you haven't answered the question.
>
> Do you lack an ability to read between the lines?

:)

I don't think so. But, you never know with these things. Reading between
the lines is *hard*. I'm generally happy if I can at least perceive that
there is *something* between the lines, whatever it is.

How about you? Seems to me like you were reading the wrong message
between the lines. You responded to my question as if it were a
statement of mistrust, whereas it was a straight-forward question with
no such insinuation.

/me mumbles something about assumptions...

> To spell it out in no uncertain terms, I have only written to this mailing list, not to
> the CSO's address, since it is something I assume some members - including the CSO -
> read from time to time.

Well, give it some time, and maybe make an arrangement to work on it
together some time soon.