[ProgSoc] mac osx disk space reporting

Andrew Halliday mail at andi.id.au
Sun Jun 14 02:28:08 EST 2009

Rumour has it that more than a few of us dare to use Mac OSX.I'm running
10.5.7 and have just gone on a binge of archiving on my imac.
System drive is a 250gb job with 232gb formatted (single HFS+ Journalled
partition) capacity available to the system.

After archiving everything off the system, emptying trash and rebooting, I
the Finder and disk information window both report that I only have 127gb
available. As I only have 32gb data on the disk (verified using Omni
DiskSweeper and good old terminal 'du -h'), I should have nigh on 200gb
available.

I've repaired permissions successfully, verified the disk successfully and
rebooted before again running the above size checks with the same results.
Essentially MacOSX is not reporting or updating the system drive space
utilisation stats properly.

Any ideas on how to force a recalculation? I'm kind of thinking my only
other option is to nuke and rebuild, but I'm not having any other problems
with the system and don't feel like wasting a day just yet.

Cheers,
Andi.