[ProgSoc] [PROGSOC-ANNOUNCE] Progsoc AGM 26th March 7.30pm (Submit your nominations)

Thomas Given-Wilson sanguinev at niflheim.progsoc.uts.edu.au
Sun Mar 22 18:51:04 EST 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 06:31:15PM +1100, Tomislav Bozic wrote:
> Question: I know Thomas holds a degree from UTS, but he's still a student
> here. Is he therefore - technically speaking - an alumnus (and hence
> eligible for the Alumni Rep. position)?
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/alumnus says "a graduate OR former
> student" (my emphasis), so I think he is eligible.
>
> I propose that we continue to accept the nomination and hold an SGM later
> this year in order to alter the constitution so as to clearly define the
> eligibility of candidates for Executive roles.
>
> Tom

There appears to be no specification in the Constitution of the requirements for either First Year
Representative or Alumni representative (beyond being a paid up member). I would read it that the role of
these positions is to represent the interests of specific groups within the society, rather than needing to
be part of that group (although this would be preferrable).

One thing I did notice was the restriction on holding more than 2 consecutive terms only prevents someone
being "elected", so if they run unopposed this may not apply.

Sadly there didn't appear to be any way to fund unlimited free beer through the constitution... back to the
Union paperwork! :P

- SanguineV