[ProgSoc] Life membership category

chris mewett chris at mewett.net
Mon Mar 23 14:51:00 EST 2009

Hi Tom,

It's a fine job you're doing putting together the club history, but I was
wondering where the life membership concept comes from?
I can only find a reference to it in EM_20020227, but no conclusions as to
the authority under which it is granted.

The constitution as posted seems to have some sections that would make such
a practice difficult to support (assuming a life member isn't required to
pay annual dues):

Section 4.3.1: no longer a member if one months in arrears.
Section 5.3: no renumeration for members (either monies or in kind)
Section 5.4: you need to have paid your annual dues to be on the executive

There is certainly ambiguity in these clauses which the executive could have
used their section 10 powers to clarify, but there is no record of this
being used, and given the conflict of interest it would be best to have the
constitution amended.

Regards,
Chris.