[ProgSoc] A few things

sanguinev at progsoc.org sanguinev at progsoc.org
Wed Nov 11 16:09:26 EST 2009

John Elliot wrote:
> Noah and I attended one of the ACS Young IT presentations last week and
> that was enjoyable even if the ProgSoc turn-out was a little
> disappointing (although we did have a clash with the student union's
> club person of the year awards night, at which Margaret collected the
> award from ProgSoc for all of her effort keeping the club's paperwork
> and soft-drink flowing, thanks Margaret).

Would you recommend the ACS event to ProgSoc members, was it useful for
ProgSoc member development? I am curious as when I skimmed the
information on it the event didn't appear to be targeted at my interest.

> Jason Ming of ACS fame has offered to get us a speaker if we can arrange
> a venue, which we can do. I'm not sure what topic we'd like a speaker to
> talk about however. ACS seems to have a preference for talking about
> "business" whereby they generally allude to a general fear of having
> their job outsourced. The pizza is generally the best part of such talks
> in my opinion, and I'm not alone in holding that opinion. So... what do
> we want to hear about from the ACS? If someone would like to volunteer
> topic ideas I can forward them to Jason and make the arrangements for a
> talk one (Thursday?) evening.

A few ideas off the cuff:
- - Taking advantage of technical knowledge (whether they choose to read
it as exploiting the technical skills of your team or using your own
knowledge in any/other areas)
- - The challenges of finding the right role as a graduate (not
necessarily ProgSoc oriented, but some members will be keen and we can
invite non-members as well)
- - The advantages of in house coding/development

> Something that I'd personally like to hear about is the history of
> functional programming, although I'm not sure that the ACS is the best
> place to source a speaker for such an event. Perhaps Thomas, or someone
> from FP-syd(?), could be cajoled into preparing a presentation on the
> topic? Would others be interested in me finding someone to talk on that
> topic?

I eagerly await your cajoling.

> Also, I learned about a group/facility called Hackerspace [1] this year.
> As they advertise on their web-site they operate a venue and facilities
> for geeks to collaborate on their pet projects (similar to ProgSoc). I
> think it would be cool if we organised an excursion over to their place
> to say hello and checkout what they've got going on. Would anyone be
> interested in doing that?

Sounds like fun, I'm up for visiiting.

- - SanguineV