[ProgSoc] TFM lives! Also: TFM thread meta-analysis

sanguinev at progsoc.org sanguinev at progsoc.org
Sun Nov 15 15:40:47 EST 2009

Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale wrote:
> To build TFM for yourself:
> ---
>
> 1) svn checkout svn+ssh://username@ssh.progsoc.org/phatdisk/projects/tfm/tfm2010
> 2) cd tfm2010
> 3) make
> 4) open tfm.pdf (or your favourite equivalent, if you're not using OS X).
>
> You will of course need a LaTeX package installed.

I have started weaving in BiBTeX to deal with referencing, although I
haven't slipped this in to the makefile for now.

> To contribute to TFM (simple mode):
> ---
>
> 1) Write a freaking text file. Or do it in Word, or LaTeX, or Texdown, or whatever you like. Here is the list of things you can write stuff about: http://www.progsoc.org/wiki/index.php/TFM2010_Table_of_Contents
> 2) Send it to Tom, SanguineV, or me.

I'm happy to add files that come to me as .txt, .rtf, even .pdf (as long
as it is text and not images), and of course .tex. I may even be able to
merge in .html stuff, but I can't really deal with .doc/Word files.

> "But I don't have anything to write about" / "But I don't have enough experience" / etc
> ---
>
> The best way to decide if your writing is any good is to actually sit down for half an hour and write something. So do that before coming up with objections. :)
>
> Thanks to the following people for doing stuff so far:
>  * Tom
>  * SanguineV

* wzdd

Don't forget yourself!

One general comment for those using the repository, please be careful
about updating regularly between changes. While it is possible for
merging and recovery of overwritten files, my academic experience proves
this can be painful and frustrating to all involved when your minutes of
hard work is casually overwritten by someone else.

To avoid these problems my tactic is to always do an update before a
commit. If the file you have been editing has changed then do the
merging locally before uploading.

Also a note/lesson I just messed up, try to only commit versions that
build. For example revisions 24-27 won't build (28 does)... my mistake.

- - SanguineV