[ProgSoc] Ubuntu/nautilus file management bug

John Elliot jj5 at jj5.net
Thu Nov 19 02:06:54 EST 2009

jedd wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 November 2009 08:54:40 John Elliot wrote:
>> Can't think of a way to check that though, as I can't
>> remember file names with any certainty.
>
>  You said the folder went, too?  You can try searching for
>  that - either with find, or just 'du -a / | grep ...' (where ...
>  is something useful within the old folder name).

Thanks for the tip. I made the command slightly better as

  $ du -a / 2>/dev/null | grep ...

which meant I didn't have to see the phonebook of "Permission denied"
errors.

In related news, I found my files! Go figure. They turned up in a
completely random place. I guess I must have flinched with my mouse or
something during the drag/drop operation... :P That leaves me in the
rather awkward position of having violated a few of the rules for smart
questions [1], the most obvious being that I didn't have a repro before
calling bug. Oh well. At least I learned a thing or two.

[1] http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html