[ProgSoc] Network Connect Ubuntu

Andrew Harkness night.dweller.wolf at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 15:55:57 EST 2010

On 07/04/2010, at 1:56 PM, Chris Deigan <ctd at progsoc.uts.edu.au> wrote:

> On 07/04/2010, at 1:18 PM, Denis Pleimling wrote:
>> It actually should work, but as a matter of fact it doesn't. I have
>> no idea what else to try. I am relatively new to Linux; I am
>> therefore wondering if anyone more experienced might be able to
>> help me out on this issue.
>>
>> I will of course throw in a pizza or  some beers to recompense the
>> effort.
>

> I'd suggest bypassing UTS-WIRELESS entirely and just configure UTS-
> WPA. Credentials are the same.
>
> - Chris

I managed to get UTS-WIRELESS happening, though I can't say for sure
if it took any particular trickiness. The packages I recall needing
were the Java Runtime Environment (sun-java6-jre, from memory) and the
browser plugin package (the exact name of which escapes me right at
the moment).

That said, I find UTS-WPA to be more convenient as it doesn't require
you to start the session with Network Connect before you can use the
network. However, I had trouble getting the GNOME Network Manager to
play nicely with UTS-WPA, and ended up resorting to using Wicd for
network management. Also, to use UTS-WPA on a laptop, you'll need the
appropriate certificates, which are available from a relatively
obscure spot in the ITD online help system. I might drop by tomorrow
evening (to renew my membership, whoops), so if you'll be there I - or
any of a number of other members - should be able to lend a hand.

-Andrew