[ProgSoc] Need advice on NAS & HDs to get
3trk at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Wed Dec 29 16:11:10 EST 2010
I am looking to get myself a NAS for backup and possible media
storage. I'm looking to replace an external HD with a network device
so other Macs on the network can use it too.
* Support backup via TimeMachine
* Raid 1 (mirroring)
* Connect to via AFP (not just SMB)
* Easy users and shares management
* Media server
I have been looking at what is available and I have been thinking
about the following products:
* NetGear ReadyNAS NV+ (Diskless) RND4000
Advantage: Can hold up to 4 disks; cheaper; more configuration and
Disadvantage: Unknown how well it deals with TimeMachine (though
specs say it supports TM); Same with Mac file server; more work to
Cost: Have seen for $350-$411 without disks. (And I would need to
think about what drives to put in it)
Then I need a couple of 2 GB drives to stick in it.
My options for this appear to be WD or Hitachi.
In my price range specifically:
* Hitachi 2000GB (2TB) 7200rpm Serial ATA-II-300 HDD w. 32MB Cache
(0F10311) Deskstar 7K2000 $158.90
* Western Digital 2000GB (2TB) Intellipower Serial ATA-II-300 HDD
w. 64MB Cache (WD20EARS) Caviar Green $148.30
(This is based on the ReadyNAS compatibility list:
Do people have any advice about what NAS they use, and what are reliable HDs?
More information about the Progsoc