[ProgSoc] Need advice on NAS & HDs to get

Margaret Colville mmaster at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Wed Dec 29 22:39:35 EST 2010

On 29 December 2010 16:11, Leefe <3trk at progsoc.uts.edu.au> wrote:
>  * NetGear ReadyNAS NV+ (Diskless) RND4000
>  <http://www.netgear.com.au/au/Product/Storage/Work-and-Play2/RND4000>

I have this, with a pair of 2TB drives installed using the X-RAID
configuration.  (WD, I think?  I went to Capitol and found the
cheapest available.)  It doesn't cause me the headaches that trying to
configure my own would have, and doesn't have nearly the footprint
that a full-sized machine would take up.

Thus far, I really like it.  There hasn't been anything where I've
gone, "Man, I'm really upset it doesn't have X feature."  I don't use
all the features, though, so I can't speak for the effectiveness of
everything.

Main features I use:
* The little LCD screen on the front, which tells you the machine's IP
address and free space without having to check via the computer.
* The USB port on the front.  I've set it up that the 'backup' button
copies the contents of a USB drive plugged into the front to a
specific folder.  It was handy when I was first populating the thing
with my files.  My computer was sucking for network transfer, so I
wound up doing it via USB - I could just leave it and come back when
it finished.
* SMB connection.  It works.  Automatically mounts attached USB drives
as shares, though often demands you provide a username/password to
access said share, even if none have been set up.
* BitTorrent client.  Would be benefited by some way to schedule
downloads, and some way to select only part of the full download, but
useful if you don't have on/off-peak constraints and want the entire
fileset.
* DLNA server.  Seems quite successful.  I'm able to get at my files
from the DLNA clients without any obvious issues.  (My media streamer
was able to see the network share but refused to access it without a
password, even though there were no password requirements on the
share; hence I'm streaming using DLNA instead.)

One thing is that it likes to complain that 'ATA error count has
increased in the last day.'.  I've had the thing since October, and at
last count, it had 96 ATA errors; they're not exactly mounting fast,
but they are gradually increasing.  That may simply be a reflection of
my incredibly cheap drives though.

--
Margaret Colville
ProgSoc President