[ProgSoc] Need advice on NAS & HDs to get

Andrew Halliday andrew.halliday at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 02:08:18 EST 2010


On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM, marauder <marauder at marauder.net.au> wrote:

>
> On 29/12/2010, at 4:11 PM, Leefe wrote:
>
>
> Do people have any advice about what NAS they use, and what are reliable
> HDs?
>
>
> I just want to take this opportunity to warn people off buying a Drobo
> and/or DroboShare.  For those who haven't heard of it, Drobo is an
> impressive-sounding box that you slide drives in and out of as you like, and
> it manages all the RAID and defragging and whatnot.
>
> The acute problem is that without warning they can screw themselves up and
> refuse to mount.  When this happens you are completely hosed because nothing
> except a Drobo can read the Drobo disk format.  You will need to format and
> restore from backup.  What's that, you say?  You bought the Drobo because it
> seemed like the safest way to keep 8TB of storage going, given that that's
> really hard to back up?  Tough tits.  Yes, I know "RAID is not a backup"
> etc, and I did have actual backups from which I restored my data, but the
> difference between the Drobo marketing and the Drobo reality is staggering,
> especially given the Drobo cost.
>
> The chronic problems?  Drobo is slow, glacially slow.  For some reason the
> makers claim that it can be used as "primary" or working storage, which is a
> laugh since the access times are significantly slower than a plain USB2
> drive which is already uncomfortably slow for serious work.  It will drive
> you nuts.  The management interface will drive you nuts.  The way Drobo lies
> to the OS about its capacity and available space, so you have to use the
> management interface to find out this basic information, will drive you
> nuts.  And you will live in fear that unmounting the device by any means
> other than the management software will corrupt your data unrecoverably.
>  Gods forbid you knock the USB cable out by accident.
>
> DroboShare is the additional expensive component that turns Drobo from a
> USB drive into a NAS.  It has its own problems.  The least of which are that
> once you switch to DroboShare, neither Time Machine nor Lightroom will let
> you use the Drobo storage.
>
> I thought Drobo was a great idea, it sounded awesome when described, I
> think CK even had good things to say about it, but I was wrong.  It was a
> very expensive disappointment.  This is my story.
>
> tl;dr: Drobo and DroboShare suck, do not buy.  Or if you must, buy my one.
>
>
Good to know. This was on my list to buy and will now be removed based on
what you've said. CK and Stux swear by them though, which to me implies
they've simply been fortunate enough not to have encountered your problems.

-Andi
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://progsoc.org/pipermail/progsoc/attachments/20101230/3f1eb0e8/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Progsoc mailing list