[ProgSoc] Need advice on NAS & HDs to get

Leefe 3trk at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Fri Dec 31 12:30:35 EST 2010

At 5:41 PM +1100 30/12/10, James Ducker wrote:
>On 29 December 2010 22:39, Margaret Colville
><mmaster at progsoc.uts.edu.au> wrote:
>>
>>  On 29 December 2010 16:11, Leefe <3trk at progsoc.uts.edu.au> wrote:
>>  >  * NetGear ReadyNAS NV+ (Diskless) RND4000
>>  >  <http://www.netgear.com.au/au/Product/Storage/Work-and-Play2/RND4000>
>>

>I second the ReadyNAS NV+, though steer clear of WD Caviar Green
>drives! They have unusual alignment settings that require a WD tool to
>configure and may or may not be problematic in a NAS box. I would put
>Seagate Barracuda HDDs in it.
>
>- James

Ok, so some people think the ReadyNAS NV+ is good, and that I should
avoid fishegg drives.

I have a question about noise. I have read differing opinions of the
noise level created by the ReadyNAS. Some say it is quite, while
others say it is too loud. Can I get feedback from people who
actually own one?

On the HD front, I had a Seagate Barracuda in an IceCube enclosure
that crapped itself some time in the past, so have avoided them
since. Hence my thinking of getting a Hitachi, even if they are a
little more expensive.
(And Hitachi just put out a 3TB drive, so the 2TB drives have come down.)

And other HD recommendation for a raid enclosure (but cheaper than a
enterprise drive) ?

Leefe.

--
http://progsoc.org/~3trk/