[ProgSoc] [PROGSOC-ANNOUNCE] Progsoc AGM 25th March 7.30pm (Submit your nominations)

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Wed Mar 24 01:09:38 EST 2010

> The tradition we've had so far is to nominate an outgoing Exec to be a
> returning officer who accepts proxy votes personally and conducts the
> election, but this hasn't been formalised (as far as I can tell).

Chris Laughton is not running for office this year, so I guess he can be
your proxy guy, then.

> Tom: Has a returning officer been nominated yet?

No, and we didn't have one last year. Thomas - who was president in '08
and was running unopposed for the Alumni Rep position and therefore did
not need to leave the room while votes were cast - acted as our returning
officer.

Since he is running for the same office, once again unopposed, he can be
returning officer again.

Isn't it standard protocol to nominate/second/accept a returning officer
at the meeting, anyways?

> (PS: No offence to the Exec, but I'm not sure "send the votes to the
> people in power" is listed as a best practice anywhere. I trust the
> Exec; I'm just noting the potential conflict of interest.)

The Exec are the paragon of virtuousness and transparency. We wouldn't
dream of tampering with the vote for our own benefit!

Tom