[ProgSoc] Python webapp frameworks

marauder marauder at marauder.net.au
Thu Nov 25 15:10:20 EST 2010

Hi all,

Anyone on here have experience with Python webapp frameworks?  I'm new to the area, having written my own framework 6 years ago when that was cool, and now feeling very locked in and wanting to switch to a real framework.  But here's my question: I tried Django, and found their ORM inferior to sqlalchemy which I'm using, and found their templater didn't suit me like Cheetah which I'm using.  I'd appreciate guidance from people with experience on whether ripping out those bits of Django is the done thing, or stupid, or more work than it's worth, or just not for beginners.  Should I learn to love the Django experience out of the box?

Is there some other framework I should be paying attention to?  I read widely before starting with Django and it seemed to be the new hotness, but I could be wrong.

Incidentally my first test project with Django was an iPhone app using the old HTML thing they had before you could compile apps for it.  I had to do quite gross things to Django to get it to be pure AJAX with no page reloads.  Left me feeling like Django does its one thing "on rails" and other things with great difficulty, is that a fair assessment?

thanks,
-marauder