[ProgSoc] Corporate sponsorship

John Elliot jj5 at jj5.net
Tue Aug 2 12:25:02 EST 2011

On 2/08/2011 10:06 AM, Justin Steward wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 8:02 AM, John Elliot<jj5 at jj5.net>  wrote:
>> p.s. If a sponsorship deal were to go ahead, ProgSoc could (and should) make
>> membership free, and give away copies of TFM for free.
>
> Membership fees are chump change

Sure. I'm not suggesting it's a huge deal.

> (skip lunch for a day or two, and
> there's your membership moneys), a requirement of the union (I
> beleieve?),

Ah, that's a pain. At least TFM could be free, and there could be free
snacks and drinks in the room.

> and provide some source of funding for the club should any
> sponsorship deal turn sour in the future (Just because the agreement
> SAYS they won't tell us what to do, they can still threaten to
> withdraw funding if we don't comply - They're bigger, they can get
> away with it).

I don't think it's anything to worry about. If a sponsor threatened to
withdraw funding we could just a) find another sponsor, or, b) go back
to taking membership fees and selling TFM.

> Just my 2 cents.

That's what I was after. :P