[ProgSoc] Corporate sponsorship

John Elliot jj5 at jj5.net
Wed Aug 3 08:40:28 EST 2011

On 3/08/2011 12:21 AM, Peter Dolkens wrote:
> If we do get corporate sponsorship (Especially in the order of 10k-50k),
> perhaps we could invest in a proper ESX server?

Well, I've been ignored, but I did offer to donate a totally kick-ass
server that would be entirely appropriate for said use. We don't need a
sponsorship deal to get a VM host.

In fact, hosting VM's is what I was going to be doing with that server,
but unfortunately my life was ruined and now I don't have anywhere to
host it. It's too big, hot and noisy for my house; and it's cheaper to
get power and network connectivity from slicehost, so that's where my
VM's are now.

I forget the specs of my server, but I paid $10,000 for it only a few
years ago, so that should give you an indication of how good it is. It
smokes! From memory it's got dual quad-core 64-bit AMD CPU's, 8GB (or
16GB? I forget) of RAM, and a few TB of hardware RAID storage. It's
called Morpheus, and it's looking for a new home.

p.s. I really can't use it, so ProgSoc might as well have it. I could
sell it on eBay, but I'd be lucky to get back 10% of what I paid for it
if I did that. Better for it to go to ProgSoc than sit on the floor in
Thomas's office forever.