[ProgSoc] Corporate sponsorship

John Elliot jj5 at jj5.net
Fri Aug 12 12:00:26 EST 2011

On 12/08/2011 5:31 AM, Nicholas FitzRoy-Dale wrote:
> Just for the record (I'm not going to fight to the death for either position):

Neither am I.

> 1) ProgSoc generally doesn't need a lot of money; and

But if ProgSoc had more money ProgSoc could do more things.

> 2) Nobody has come up with a popular suggestion for how a huge amount
> more money could be spent; and

There was a discussion about this, and we came up with:

* Provide free drinks and snacks for members in the ProgSoc room
* Provide UTS students and members with free copies of TFM
* Get fancier equipment
* Host fancier events

> 3) It seems like it could only be bad to be financially beholden
> to somebody with interests which don't necessarily completely align
> with ours, especially since we (per point 1) don't actually have to be

Did you read the Sponsorship Proposal?

   http://www.progsoc.org/wiki/Sponsorship_Proposal

A sponsor's interests would align with ours:

* Giving back to their community
* Fostering programming expertise in Australia
* Seeking exposure to up-and-coming talented programmers

> 4) I'm not in favour of corporate sponsorship for ProgSoc.

ProgSoc has had corporate sponsorship before. How did you feel about
receiving equipment from Sun? I think we've accepted donations from
other groups too, although no details spring to mind (Apple, Microsoft?)

There might be nothing that comes of it anyway, getting this deal across
the line isn't a priority for anyone.