[ProgSoc] Strange ls behaviour on NFS mount

Nigel Sheridan-Smith wtfiwtz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 07:33:06 EST 2011

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:25 PM, John Elliot <jj5 at jj5.net> wrote:

> On 15/08/2011 7:47 AM, Nigel Sheridan-Smith wrote:
>
>> Looks to me like (uint32_t) -2... perhaps there is an error on retrieving
>> the file details at first?
>>

> Yeah, I think Anand's probably right that it's idmap related. I'd use NFS3
> instead of 4, except I don't know how. :P

man nfsd

You configure your exports in /etc/exports and mount those volumes through
/etc/fstab.

NFSv4 has much better security, but I've never configured it myself yet.
NFSv3 and below use implicit trust between the user and group IDs used on
each system, making it a snap to hack into any export that is not restricted
by hostname or IP address.

Cheers,

Nigel