[ProgSoc] Laptop options

arp arp at progsoc.uts.edu.au
Sun Dec 11 13:08:17 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 11:59:26PM +1100, Thomas Given-Wilson wrote:
> Hi ProgSoc,
>
> I am in the market for a new laptop and thought I would
> see if you guys had any advice/comments/thoughts that
> might be helpful.

You're one screen size up from my preferred size (12" or lower) so
I cannot be of /much/ help but...

> I know from experience that Thinkpad keyboards are very nice
> to type on and the battery life is pretty good (3-4 hours).

I'm getting around 10-12hrs on mine with the battery slice. :)

> This is roughly $3100 and can be upgraded CPU wise (and
> other less important things).

Main bit of advice is here: Unless it is urgent, wait. Lenovo
have regular sales and in that price range you can get 30% off
(40% off if you're lucky) which, at $3k, would be a rather nifty
saving. Also, buy via www.starthere.com.au. They used to be
www.moneybackco.com.au and the % refunded is not as good as it
used to be but at $2-3k even 2.5% is not too bad. Joining fee ($10)
comes out of your first cashback.

arp