[ProgSoc] -- AGM Reminder --

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Wed Mar 30 21:11:42 EST 2011

Just a reminder that our club's AGM is being held tomorrow (as if you
weren't aware already). Essential details (time, place, Executive
candidates, agenda) can be found at
http://progsoc.org/wiki/index.php/AGM_20110331

****

This year, in addition to casting votes for the 2011 Executive, we will
also be casting votes on a series of amendments to the club's Constitution
(again, as if you weren't aware).

The proposed amendments, along with a copy of the current Constitution
(http://progsoc.org/wiki/index.php?title=Constitution&oldid=3516) were
published last week online
(http://progsoc.org/wiki/index.php/Constitution_Amendments_2011) and on
selected noticeboards around the Broadway Campus. Therefore, you have had
a week to carefully consider each amendment.

It is expected of all AGM attendees who wish to vote for/against the
amendments that they have carefully considered each amendment *before* the
AGM. Apart from a courtesy reading of each amendment and a brief
explanation of the effect of each amendment, no time will be allocated for
consideration. In other words, you should have already made up your mind
before coming to the AGM! If you haven't considered or even read the
amendments (alongside the Constitution), PLEASE DO IT NOW.

After each amendment is read/explained, a show of hands from those
financial members present will be called for and counted. If two-thirds or
more of the total number of financial members raise their hands in
agreement with the amendment, then the amendment shall be considered
passed and the constitution accordingly amended. A show of hands will also
be called for disagreement and abstention.

****

As in previous years, we will be allowing for proxy votes. If you can not
physically make it to the AGM, we encourage you to cast a proxy vote.
Already, at the time of writing, one has been cast. This can be done in
one of three ways:

* If you are physically on campus tomorrow, the ProgSoc Room
(CB10.03.380a) will be open in the afternoon for several hours prior to
the advertised start time (most probably 12pm-6pm) -- if the door is open,
come on in. Please write all of your votes on a sheet of paper and
preferably hand it to us in a sealed envelope.

* You may email your votes to psexec at progsoc.org

* You may nominate a person to vote on your behalf at the AGM (preferably
not an Executive candidate). Please notify psexec at progsoc.org as to who
will be voting for you.

****

Most important of all, in order to legitimately be able to vote, you must
be a financial member of the club. That is, prior to the commencement of
the AGM, you must have either applied for a new membership or renewed your
membership for 2011. Membership is $5 for members of the UTS Union
Advantage Program, $10 for everyone else. You may renew your membership
online (see http://progsoc.org/wiki/index.php/Payment_Methods) or in
person tomorrow afternoon in the ProgSoc Room. Membership will be checked
prior to the AGM's commencement.

If you are not a financial member of the club at the commencement of the
AGM, you will still be allowed to be present at the AGM, eat our pizza and
drink our sweet, sweet cola (which will be paid for by the club) and even
participate in most proceedings, except, of course, being able to cast
votes. This *includes* our so-called "life members" -- they, too, must pay
in order to vote. If you are a non-financial member and you attempt to
cast a vote, you will not be counted.

These are not my rules -- these are the rules of the club. See Sections
4.2 and 4.3.1, which explicitly describes the conditions of membership,
and Section 5.1.2, which obligates the Executive to enforce these and all
other rules.

****

Thank you and hope to see as many of you tomorrow as possible :)

Tom
Vice President (for one more evening, morning and afternoon)