[ProgSoc] Compulsory Student Unionism coming back!

James Ducker jducker at it.uts.edu.au
Thu Nov 10 13:31:49 EST 2011

On 10 November 2011 09:21, Peter Dolkens <peter.dolkens at ddrit.com> wrote:
> Course costs are rising, as are student debts, but the job market is slowly turning away from uni education (which I feel could do with a major revamp to bring it up to date, especially in the computing courses), leaving students with a massive end-of-school debt before they've even started working.

Actually, it's turning toward uni education. Back in the Day(TM) it
was possible to rise up through the ranks of large corporations;
there's some CEO of an Australian bank who started out as a teller (if
you want to know I'll track down who it is). That kind of thing
doesn't happen today; everyone gets (at least) a BA, then becomes an
analyst, then moves into management.

The exception to the rule is I.T., where, due to the ever increasing
demand for Web Developers, entry requirements are fairly relaxed. But
go somewhere like Google or Microsoft or Novell, and they're still
looking for people with comp sci degrees and a strong theoretical
education.

On the other hand, I'm in favour of further reducing student fees. The
end-of-school debt isn't such a big deal, HECS is just yet another
small slice of my income that I never see, and if I stop earning money
I stop paying it. It could be worse: it could be like the American
system.

--
James Ducker
Web Developer