[ProgSoc] TFM now on the wiki

Ben Reardon benjamin.reardon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 15:19:43 EST 2012

Hmm... how is project management going you ask?

Its best to say it isn't.

I had a meeting with Chris Johnson a while ago, and what we discussed blew
me away completely and left me very disheartened. He focused on how the
changes to how computer science is being taught means that the examples I
was thinking of using will likely not be understood at all by a chunk of
new alumni from UTS (let alone students). It went along the lines of "it is
possible to graduate with a single intro to programming subject".
Considering I was planning to use examples with a range of languages and
skills, these people would find it completely inaccessible.

He also outlined how there was a range of stuff available previously to
first years that did some pre-project management stuff (more self
management for new uni students) that was demonstratably ignored from the
number of assignments he got that did not obey those rules (and thinking
back, I bet my assignments were in that category).

In short, I left with the feeling that anything I wrote on the topic would
be only for people who had graduated, and even then not all of those
people. Is that a fair assessment of the interest in the topic and if so,
does it deserve a place in TFM?

Ben Reardon.