[ProgSoc] Fwd: SocMeet Report

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Thu Mar 15 17:20:12 EST 2012

Subject: SocMeet Report
From:    "Peter Revelant" <peter.revelant at gmail.com>
Date:    Thu, March 15, 2012 5:12 pm
To:      "Tomislav Bozic" <tomchristmas at progsoc.org>

SocMeet Report

Date: Tuesday 13 March
Location: Ernst & Young in the CBD
Purpose: employers and university society representatives promote
themselves to each other
ProgSoc attendees: Tom Bozic (President), Peter Revelant

We talked to the following employer representatives:

-- 1. Marco Duarte, HR, Google

Marco discussed how Google looks favourably on graduates, tending to
hire young and promote from within. Entry level or graduate positions
tend to have rather broad job descriptions, because they want to fit
applicants into the best fitting role, which is not always apparent
before the interview stage. It is common for applicants to not be
selected for the advertised role, but asked to consider another role
within the company.

For more info on grad and internship positions: google.com/students

For those who want to test themselves in a programming competition:
Registration is now open for Code Jam 2012 - the Qualification Round
will start on Friday, April 13, 2012. Register at
http://code.google.com/codejam/

It's free and there's a $10,000 prize. I entered in 2010. Even if you
are not a strong programmer, I urge you to enter, because you get to
see the code of the winners and learn coding  tricks and how to
approach algorithm problems.

-- 2. Jonathan Yeo, Apple

Jonathon wants people for the Apple Store. Sorry, no developer
positions available - most of those are in Cupertino. The Apple Store
Leader Program is a 2-year development program for managing and
operating an Apple Retail Store. Those on the program work in all
facets of Apple's Retail Store, and are groomed for management. They
want candidates with undergrad degrees completed by July 2012 (global
intake synchronised with U.S. graduation season), credit average,
leadership experience, and a love of technology. Early round deadline
12 Sept 2011 (well past); final round deadline March 2012. Or consider
it for next year.

More at www.apple.com/jobs/au/leaderprogram

-- 3. Kerry McClelland, Coca-Cola Amatil

Despite being a manufacturing and sales company, Kerry was *only*
interested in talking to IT students at this event. They are well
along in the process of migrating their enterprise management systems
to SAP, so SAP experience is highly valued (but not required for grad
positions). After feedback from IT applicants that the general
orientation was too long, they have reduced it to 2 months for IT
grads. During orientation you go around with other staff to see how IT
is integrated into the whole business. After 2 months, you can start
to concentrate on your specific tech role. Applications close 5pm,
Friday 6 April 2012.

Apply online at www.cokecareers.com.au quoting reference NOR24023 (I
don't know what this reference is for).

-- 4. Tim Lloyd, Staffing Services, teach.NSW

Tim needs math and science teachers in particular. Candidates with
multiple strings to their bow e.g. IT and math, are especially valued
as they can be trained to teach more than one subject. Tim was heavily
promoting Teacher Education Scholarships of up to $5000 per year. Lots
more info on scholarships, general remuneration/benefits, and the
Graduate Recruitment Program can be found in the brochure (I will
leave a copy in the ProgSoc room) or www.teach.nsw.edu.au

-- 5. Sumaya Sava, Ernst & Young

E&Y are a financial services firm. They do hire IT grads for internal
IT support, and for their Risk Assurance and IT Audit consulting
divisions. However, you do have to go through the same orientation
program as all the finance and business people. Sorry - no promotional
material received for this one. Use your google fu to find out more.

-- 6. AAGE (organiser)

AAGE also organises the Big Meet (Fri 23 March, Darling Harbour). It's
free, and all students or recent graduates can attend. Register and
find out more at www.thebigmeet.com.au

A selection of brochures relevant to the above employers will be left
in the ProgSoc room. I will also be happy to answer any questions you
might have, although I have pretty much written everything I learned
at SocMeet in this report.

Peter Revelant