[ProgSoc] AGM Reminder -- 29th March (this Thursday)

Pat Morgan patwm18 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 28 05:30:30 EST 2012

Worthy points, but the President does have fairly free reign with some things. For example, membership is supposed to last thirteen months, because the Constitution tells us that expiration of said membership occurs if, after the 12 months are up, payment is not received for another calendar month. But the practise has always been to expire each membership at the start of the AGM, regardless.

Members like myself who are overseas who should technically be members at the time of the AGM, are not counted because of this practice, when there's a fair argument to be made to the contrary. (I don't particularly mind, I'm just playing devil's advocate). I can't be an active member this year so while I would like to vote, I'll abstain and pay for membership again in '13 perhaps depending on where I am in the world.

Anyway, I'd like to put forward that there should be a clause that ensures membership actually does expire
 at the start of university semester (or AGM). And also would like
to agree it's silly to have nominations in absentia, but not AGM votes.