[ProgSoc] Backing up stuff from cloud servers (Jobsoc?)

marauder marauder at marauder.net.au
Tue Apr 15 13:09:57 EST 2014

Dear Progsoc,

I have a couple of Linode web servers containing data that’s reasonably important to me, and I’d like to be backing that up regularly onto hardware that I own.  I figured a good and cheap way to do this would be to get an old laptop, put Ubuntu on it, write a script to do some rsyncs, and write another script to do some mysqldumps.  Is this actually a good way?  Is there something better?

If someone who knows a good and cheap way wants to set it up for cash, I’m all ears.

thanks,

-marauder
Progsoc life member and Golden Year President