[ProgSoc] CSO's Report
hyperzap at progsoc.org
Thu Mar 27 15:45:43 EST 2014
I will be at tonight's AGM to present my report, but I will post it here
for those who
are not coming.
1. Machines, the room and machine failures
- Failure of Firewall machine brought network down for a few days - Chris
Diegan setup a cisco router - IPtables on each machine takes
the place of the firewall. TODO get a new firewall machine working.
- Crypt is starting to become unstable - occasional hangs which bring down
pretty much everything - needs replacing
- Death is being worked on - Raid card is dead - trying to get 6 drives
working by connecting directly to the motherboard but limited success.
- Two new machines are now working thanks to the work of Robin W.R. -
Apple & Banana. More planned.
- The room has been substantially cleaned - a lot of useless junk has been
cleared - velcro ties have been procured to bind cables in the
Boxes to save space and neaten our otherwise messy room. All broken
servers have been stripped and disposed.
- At the beginning of last year we got 6 new monitors to upgrade/replace
our dwindling monitor supplies.
- There WAS a backup system setup that worked. There is a complete backup
of user data somewhere.
- After the investigation, backups were frozen to preserve data (for use
in the investigation). At the conclusion, the backup system
no longer worked :(
3. Raspberry pi's
- 10 New Pi's were procured for the Code2day competition. These are for
members to fiddle with.
- Maybe we should develop a system to issue and return the pi's.
- Migrate file storage to a decent server (death? cherry? (proposed
- Develop the idea of the new progsoc network (prog2, visible on the wiki)
and migrate if it turns out to be feasible.
- There is alot of interest in robotics projects - perhaps we can
integrate that with our network and progsoc activities.
- I just donated my ex-wifi-router. Perhaps a progsoc wifi network can be
Tom D(outgoing CSO)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Progsoc