[ProgSoc] Constitutional Amendment Proposal Fest 2017

Jenny Nguyen knockycode at progsoc.org
Sat Nov 25 12:53:03 AEDT 2017

On 19 November 2017 at 19:03, Tomislav Bozic <tomchristmas at progsoc.org>
wrote:

> == Proposed Amendment 8 (Liaison Officers) ==
>
> [snipped]
>
> Replace clause 5.7:
>
>    Liaison Officers are to be appointed at the discretion of the
>    Executive Committee and removed at the earlier of either removal by
>    discretion of the Executive Committee, or at the end of an office
>    period of the Executive Committee. Liaison Officers do not hold a
>    position on the Executive Committee, and shall assist and advise
>    the Executive Committee.
>
> with:
>
>    Liaison Officers are to be appointed at the discretion of the
>    Executive Committee and removed at the earlier of either removal by
>    discretion of the Executive Committee, or at the end of an office
>    period of the Executive Committee. Liaison Officers do not hold a
>    position on the Executive Committee, and shall assist and advise the
>    Executive Committee. ​Persons eligible for appointments must be
>    financial members of the Society for the year they are appointed.
>    Liaison Officer roles and positions are to be determined and revised
>    by the Executive Committee from time to time.
>
> --
>
> [snipped]
>
> It would be a good idea, however, rather than to simply discard clauses
> 5.7.1 to 5.7.7., we should put those clauses in another document on the
> wiki called "Liaison Officer Roles" or similar. If you like, the membership
> can vote upon adding or deleting new roles or amending existing roles to
> suit the club's purpose. In any case, these roles would serve more or less
> as a guide as to what a Liaison Officer can occupy. It's good to retain the
> definitions for this purpose. Again, we shouldn't be limiting ourselves to
> only appointing Liaisons with these roles.

Sounds good. A separate document on the wiki called "Liaison Officer Roles"
would be useful.

 wrote:

> == Proposed Amendment 9 (Auditing) ==
>
> Delete clause 5.5.4.3:
>
>    ​They shall present the annual statement of accounts and balance sheet
>    for the preceding financial year to the auditor each year at least
>    two weeks before the Annual General Meeting and shall present the
>    audited statements and balance sheet at the Annual General Meeting.
>
> Renumber clause 5.5.4.4 to 5.5.4.3.
>
> Delete clauses 6.5 and 6.6:
>
>    6.5 Auditor
>
>    The Auditor shall be appointed by the Executive Committee.
>
>    6.6 Annual Audit
>
>    The Auditor will conduct an audit of the Society's accounts and
>    balance sheet for the financial year preceding the Annual General
>    Meeting, and furnish a report thereon, as an addendum to the
>    Treasurer's report to the Annual General Meeting.

I was going to remark how I never remember this process until I read your
comment, Tom. I think it should be deleted too because as you said, the
"Constitution should be all about what we must do, not what we should do".

And ActivateUTS (formerly known as UTS Union) would be doing the auditing
for us anyway.

All the other amendments sound good too. I say that if no one offers
suggestions for alterations within seven (7) days -- so by Saturday 2nd of
Dec -- these amendments should be put into place. Would you be OK in
applying these amendments if they are to go ahead on that day, Tom? Thank
you for bringing these suggested amendments forward!

Agreements,
Jenny