[ProgSoc] Progsoc: what do we provide of value?

Tomislav Bozic tomchristmas at progsoc.org
Tue Sep 5 06:44:56 AEST 2017

On 04/09/17 23:09, Jedd Rashbrooke wrote:

>   I think my account is locked - i can't ssh in, and the last time I
> reply-all'd to one of these messages (about two weeks ago) I got a 'an
> administrator needs to approve your email'  email.

I believe they're two separate issues. In any case, your email made it
to the list. This time.

>   It's mildly frustrating as I'd happily chuff up the $10 required, or
> $20 if I'm out by two years, to get back to where I started.

There really is no way of knowing how much a membership costs these
days. I guess chucking some amount of money in the society bank account
should do the trick.

> Some
> years ago I bequeathed about $2k worth of server grade hardware, which I
> think lasted several months before being replaced / relocated to
> someone's home ... I wasn't expecting a public holiday named in my
> honour, but it was a bit surprising that my account was locked while we
> were running on hardware I'd provided.

See, I didn't know that at the time. I had yet to meet you. 'jedd' was
just a meaningless string of four letters to me.

And even if I knew, it wouldnt've mattered, since I had then adopted the
attitude of no special treatment for any member, no matter how long they
had served or how much they had donated to the society. That also meant
an end to honouring "life memberships". In short, equal treatment for
everyone. Sounds like a certain ideology popular in some parts of the
world in the 20th century, Eastern Europe mostly.

My attitude has changed somewhat over the years. You need to be
respectful and tactful to those that came before you. I still think
having a free account by virtue of being elected President is silly, though.

Tom