[ProgSoc] [PROGSOC-ANNOUNCE] 2018 Annual General Meeting -- 25th October

Roland Turner roland at rolandturner.com
Thu Oct 25 15:58:50 AEDT 2018

All,

This is awesome, and apologies for not commenting sooner. I have not
appointed a proxy, but all but two of the proposals have my full support:

*Proposed Amendment 4*

The proposal depends upon two false assumptions:

  * That all executive meetings are fully attended (or equivalently,
    that the quorum is all members of the executive). I would be
    astonished to learn that there had been any substantial run of
    fully-attended executive meetings but, even if there has been,
    embedding this assumption invites futile disputes when, inevitably,
    someone is absent.
  * That an executive unable to reach consensus (tied vote) is able to
    reach a consensus on the very same point (about how to break the
    tie). This is a basic logical error.

It might have been more useful to simply establish the quorum as being
three members, including at least one of the president, vice-president,
or secretary. However...

I _*strongly encourage*_ members to _*reject this proposal*_.

*
*

*Proposed Amendment 7
*

As with the language in 5.5.2 ("The Vice-President shall ... act as
President in their absence."), this is about establishing precedence in
a way that avoids futile disputes, and in particular avoids deadlocks.
As above, this is an important safety valve for smoothing the path
during rare but harmful situations.

I _*strongly encourage*_ members to _*reject this proposal*_.

*
*

*Other Thoughts*

I am very upset about the demise of the comma, but if officialdom exists
<http://www.gsu.uts.edu.au/publications/styleguide/uts.html> then I
guess we're stuck with it.

Removal from executive of all but the basic five makes real sense.
Delegations (key holders, liaisons) are a matter for the executive of
the day in dealing with the situation of the society from time to time.
For this reason, the description of the non-executive office holders
should be a matter of executive discretion, so while it makes sense to
publish a documented description of the current roster, it should not be
titled Appendix A as that makes it look a loosely attached part of the
constitution. I note that the proposed amendments merely refer to an
Appendix in their rationale, they do not formally include it by reference.

Including a security clause at all appears unnecessary, but yes, the
more generic language proposed is ...less inappropriate.

The audit clauses date all the way to the YUSP draft. Wow. No, I don't
ever recall this happening.

Thanks for dealing with this!

- Raz